We are looking to hire 2 History Teachers for the Just BGRAPHIC Summer Arts Academy. Public summer program for participants ages 12-15 years old.
Just BGRAPHIC is a not-for-profit organization evolving as a social enterprise. Our social conscience is rooted in the belief that students exposed to a culturally responsive curriculum that employs progressive pedagogies are more likely to succeed academically.
Diverse, original and passionate, Just BGRAPHIC is a modern movement of progressive artist united with experienced educators on a bold mission to revolutionize arts education in Canadian schools. We create programs that align with the Ministry of Education guidelines for students in middle and high school, including Specialist High School Major (SHSM). We provide students and schools with experiential learning and career exploration activities that include conferences, symposiums, job fairs and tours of various professional art spaces.
Summer Arts Academy
Each summer 70-80 students will participate in a 6 week learning journey Monday – Friday from July 2, 2023 – Aug 5, 2023. Participants will embark on an unforgettable experience with Just BGRAPHIC instructors and teachers dedicated to fostering a safe and creative learning experiences. Participants will spend their days participating in a hybrid of arts, history and social sciences programming.
30 days of adventures, keeping young minds sharp and engaged. Our goal is to have the students leave inflated with pride; mastering new skills, and feeling connected to a supportive team of artist and teachers.
Team Member Characteristics
Our team members are passionate about both art and teaching. They have excellent communication, organization, and leadership skills, which enable them to manage a classroom, organize a curriculum, and convey difficult concepts to their students. Our faculty run their own practices or are businesspeople as well as teachers, and possess administrative and business skills.
The teacher responsibilities include preparing lessons and teaching students to analyze different texts, providing academic support, and fostering good relationships. Focusing on Canadian history and its intersections with Caribbean, Latin American and American. To be successful in this position you should be tolerant of different opinions and be able to create a learning environment where students respect each other. Drawing inspiration from the curriculum and its themes / subjects, the history arts teacher will be responsible of creating culturally responsive and diverse history programming that consistent with the organizations guidelines; to decolonize arts based education, develop aesthetic understandings and appreciations.
The teacher will perform all or some of the following Job description:
- Analyze all prescribed texts and resources to develop quality lesson plans and curricula.
- Collaborating with fellow teachers and learning from their methods, teaching strategies, and classroom management techniques.
- Delivering engaging History lessons on different time periods, movements, and other historical events and figures of African heritage throughout the Caribbean, Latin America and United States.
- Sourcing guest speakers and organizing events and educational field trips.
- Keeping abreast of current events/movements and using these themes to keep historical content relevant.
- Provide individual and small-group instruction to adapt the curriculum to the needs of students with varying intellectual and artistic abilities, and to accommodate a variety of instructional activities
- Instruct students in proper care and use of tools and equipment
- Organize storage areas and control use of materials, equipment and tools to prevent loss orabuse, and to minimize time required for distribution and collection
- Evaluate each student’s performance and growth in knowledge and aesthetic understandings, and prepare progress reports
- Select and requisition books, instructional materials, tools, instructional aids, and maintainrequired inventory records
- Plan and present art displays and exhibitions designed to exhibit students’ work for the school and the community
- Maintain professional competence through in-service education activities provided by the schooland/or in self-selected professional growth activities
- Communicate with parents
Minimum Requirements / Knowledge / Skill For Art Teacher Job
Two years’ work experience as an art instructor. Minimum education requirements / certification
- Applicants currently enrolled in teachers college applicant are welcomed.
- Bachelor’s degree in Fine Arts, Edcuation OR
- 5 years of professional arts practice