We are looking to hire 2 Music Teachers for the Just BGRAPHIC Summer Arts Academy. Public summer program for participants ages 12-15 years old.
Just BGRAPHIC is a not-for-profit organization evolving as a social enterprise. Our social conscience is rooted in the belief that students exposed to a culturally responsive curriculum that employs progressive pedagogies are more likely to succeed academically.
Diverse, original and passionate, Just BGRAPHIC is a modern movement of progressive artist united with experienced educators on a bold mission to revolutionize arts education in Canadian schools. We create programs that align with the Ministry of Education guidelines for students in middle and high school, including Specialist High School Major (SHSM). We provide students and schools with experiential learning and career exploration activities that include conferences, symposiums, job fairs and tours of various professional art spaces.
Summer Arts Academy
Each summer 70-80 students will participate in a 6 week learning journey Monday – Friday from July 2, 2023 – Aug 5, 2023. Participants will embark on an unforgettable experience with Just BGRAPHIC instructors and teachers dedicated to fostering a safe and creative learning experiences. Participants will spend their days participating in a hybrid of arts, history and social sciences programming.
30 days of adventures, keeping young minds sharp and engaged. Our goal is to have the students leave inflated with pride; mastering new skills, and feeling connected to a supportive team of artist and teachers.
Team Member Characteristics
Our team members are passionate about both art and teaching. They have excellent communication, organization, and leadership skills, which enable them to manage a classroom, organize a curriculum, and convey difficult concepts to their students. Our faculty run their own studios or are businesspeople as well as teachers, and possess administrative and business skills.
The teacher to be responsible for creating an enjoyable learning environment to inspire young minds and help them grow in appreciation of music. The teacher will be responsible for developing in each student an interest in and the ability for creative expression in music terms, using skills and techniques of rhythmic expression. Drawing inspiration from the curriculum and its themes / subjects, the visual arts teacher will be responsible of creating culturally responsive and diverse arts programming that consistent with the organizations guidelines; to decolonize arts education, develop aesthetic understandings and appreciations.
The teacher will perform all or some of the following Job description:
- Teach Pan African styles of music.
- Incorporating musical instruments and movement in lessons.
- Planning and implementing a program of instruction and lesson plans.
- Provide instruction by which students develop aesthetic concepts and appreciations and the ability to make qualitative judgments about art society and culture.
- Provide individual and small-group instruction to adapt the curriculum to the needs of studentswith varying intellectual and artistic abilities, and to accommodate a variety of instructionalactivities
- Instruct students in proper care and use of tools and equipment
- Organize storage areas and control use of materials, equipment and tools to prevent loss orabuse, and to minimize time required for distribution and collection
- Evaluate each student’s performance and growth in knowledge and aesthetic understandings, andprepare progress reports
- Select and requisition books, instructional materials, tools, instructional aids, and maintainrequired inventory records
- Plan and present exhibitions designed to exhibit students’ work for the school and the community
- Maintain professional competence through in-service education activities provided by the schooland/or in self-selected professional growth activities
- Communicate with parents
Minimum Requirements / Knowledge / Skill For Art Teacher Job
Two years’ work experience as an art instructor. Minimum education requirements / certification
- Applicants currently enrolled in teachers college applicant are welcomed.
- Bachelor’s degree in Fine Arts, Edcuation OR
- 5 years of professional arts practice