Subject(s): West African drumming
- Grade/Level: Suitable primary, junior, intermediate and senior grades
- Objective: Learning West African drum rhythms
- Time Allotment: Adjustable
Facilitators will bring several West African percussive instruments for the students to learn its
material components, history, cultural context and the rhythmic patterns. They will also have a
lesson on how to play each instrument. 5 Instruments are included in these workshops.
Students will learn rhythmic patterns with their hands and apply the same patterns with
- Learn a Traditional West African rhythm
- Understand polyrhythmic patterns
- Train their ear to listen to hear diverse rhythmic patterns played by other instruments
while keeping the tempo of their own instrument.
A minimum of 4 classes or one 60 minute session.